Pudleston is a peaceful village of just a handful of dwellings and a church nestling in the north Herefordshire countryside, an ideal base for keen walkers with a network of waymarked paths for all abilities. The Gaggles is a 4 bedroom holiday cottage located within the grounds of Pudleston Court estate. Adam Lodge and Eve Lodge are a pair of delightful Grade 2 listed sandstone gatehouse lodges flanking the impressive main front entrance driveway to historic Pudleston Court built in 1846.
A Brief History of Pudleston Court
Pudleston Court, a Grade II listed building, is a prime example of a period during the mid to late 19th century when it was the fashion for successful industrialists of the day to build large country piles as ostentatious and lasting monuments to their achievements.
It has seen many changes over the centuries, however, from its initial conception as a residence fit for a well-to-do gentleman of the mid-1800s.
Lancashire “coal baron” Elias Chadwick originally commissioned the design and construction of the building in 1846 from Liverpool architect J. T. Brearley, who had produced plans for a lavish Tudor-Gothic style country house to be constructed of coursed pink sandstone, slate roofs and with embattled parapets. The Chadwick family remained in ownership of the estate for several decades.
During the Second World War, the house was used by the British Red Cross as a convalescence home for members of the armed forces injured in battle (author James Herriot stayed there).
In the 1950s, the house was then converted to use as a local authority special school for children with learning difficulties.
Today Pudleston Court is a privately owned country estate.